No special configuration is required.
The class requires laptops with virtualization software. We recommend VMWare products such as Workstation Pro or Workstation Player for Windows and Linux or VMWare Fusion for OSX. VirtualBox will work, but you may be limited on advanced virtual machine functionality.
A virtual .ova file for the class is coming soon.
You will need a computer with a modern web browser, and a Linux command line. We recommend Ubuntu, either as your native OS, or in a virtual machine.
You should have the following packages pre-installed:
- A C build toolchain:
apt install build-essentialon Ubuntu / Debian / Mint
yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'on Red Hat / CentOS
We will not be able to help anyone configure their computer, so please arrive with a properly set up machine.
Other Operating Systems
If you really know what you’re doing, you can complete this class with MacOS or Windows. Be prepared to figure out your OS quirks on your own, however. Windows users should be prepared to write a lot of code, as our command-line recipes won’t work at all in Windows.
- Install a Hypervisor
- We recommend VMWare products such as Workstation Pro or Workstation Player for Windows and Linux or VMWare Fusion for OSX.
- VirtualBox will work, but you may be limited on advanced virtual machine functionality
- Download CyberFire Host Forensics Virtual Machine .ova file
- The .ova file linked will be emailed before class and the .ova will be avilable on flash drives at the event)
- Import into hypervisor
- Turn on virtual machine to ensure that it imported properly
- Turn off the virtual machine
- Delete the cyberfire ova file that was downloaded
- Virtual machine has been imported and there is no need to keep the original ova